Sunday, March 09, 2014

Quick free PSD file access

On my home system I am fortunate to have Adobe Photoshop.

So when I need to work with a PSD file it’s no biggie.

However the other day I was on the church-house computer wanting to work with a free-from-the-community background image file. And it was in PSD format. And this computer didn’t have any PSD file format compatible software on it.

Problem?

No problem.

I do have the freeware Paint.NET application running on this system for quick image work and editing.

I downloaded and installed the Paint.NET PSD Plugin via CodePlex. The plugin enables loading and saving of Photoshop PSD files. According to the site page, it was originally written by Frank Blumenberg and is now covered by Tao Yue.

Worked like a charm.

I spotted this tip (and some alternative tricks to opening PSD files) via this MakeUseOf blog post: The Best Ways To Open a PSD File Without Photoshop

Cheers.

--Claus Valca

No comments: