Monday, September 02, 2013

CinemaDrape - micropost

I got me some awesome desktop backgrounds of very beautiful things.

Watching them rotate though on my dual HD displays is a joy.

Except when I am watching a video or learning or something serious like that.

I don’t like killing the desktop theme or going to a black-out only background, then having to put stuff back when I am done. That’s such a hassle.

So I hunted around for a small/free Windows App that might do the job blanking out or dimming the desktop.

Apparently there are tons.

4 Applications To Dim Your Screen & Keep You Focused [Windows] - MakeUseOf blog has just a few of the more popular ones.

After some trial and error (and I tried a bunch) I settled on a gem called CinemaDrape by Aurelify.

What do I like?

  • It has a portable option; download and run. (A installer version is available as well.)
  • It works over multiple monitors.
  • You can change the color to whatever you want
  • Opacity options
  • Select multiple areas to unmask. This was the dealmaker for me. I unmasked a video player window and unmasked a PowerShell window at the same time.
  • Layout saving.

If you need a tool like this, definitely check this one out first.

Highly Valca Recommended!

Cheers.

--Claus Valca

No comments: