Saturday, April 28, 2012

WinPE 4.0 - Quick Post #1

No time for extended commenting. I’ve got to clean out the “to-blog” hopper and time is winding down for the night.

In my work in the Case of the Unexplained Donut of Death post I tripped over the Windows ADK for Windows 8 Consumer Preview and installed it to get the Windows Performance Analysis Toolkit.

However, I was wonderfully surprised to find that WinPE 4.0 (WinPE for Windows 8) came along for the ride.

YAY!

I haven’t had time to break it open and start playing with it in custom WinPE builds (as I am known to do) however I now have a watchful eye out for tips, tricks and material related to WinPE 4.0 building so when the time is right, I’ll be ready to go.

Sometimes--ok most times--once you start working with WIM files, particularly the BOOT.WIM file that forms the core of your WinPE build, you will need to add some items to it. While you can mount/commit/dismount the WIM file from the command line, it may be a bit clunky to the uninitiated. A nice GUI-manager for DISM will go a long way.

Cheers!

--Claus V.

No comments: