Saturday, December 26, 2009

Tiny CLI Revisit

For the past two weeks I’ve been working on tweaking and using a CLI-batch file to automate a few post-system install setup-steps.

Nothing dramatic but stuff I got tired manually copying from the network, executing in command-line, etc.

For one of those steps I used the simple “copy” command successfully. However the network analyst working with me on the project had some trouble and tweaked my batch file to use “xcopy” instead.  Fine. I’m not sure what benefit that added in this particular batch file but both worked as coded…

Then the ever-dependable TinyApps bloggist shared his own way-cool experience with xcopy.

That got me thinking not just about the CLI for XP in general (which is what we were working with) but also what changes, if any Windows7 brings to the mix.

So here is a CLI reference dump, updated from prior GSD posts and new material as well.

…and then there came Windows Power Shell

All versions of Windows 7 now ship with Windows Power Shell as well.  It can be installed on XP/Vista/Sever 2003 and 2008 as well. This allows for some heavy-lifting from the command-line in script format.  Similar to the familiar batch-files, but on steroids.

Enjoy!

--Claus V.

No comments: